We are proud to announce that Barb Davis-Hassan of Barb Hassan Realty has been selected as the 2008 REALTOR® of the YEAR! This award is given to one member of the Association that has contributed outstanding time and energy to the betterment of the Board.
Barb, a member since 1989, has been actively involved in all levels of the Association volunteering her time and talents locally and on the state level. Since 2001, Barb has served on the Board of Directors, and was elected the Central Council President in 2007. She was most
recently elected to serve as the 2008 Vice President of MLS and appointed to serve as Chairperson of the Government Affairs Committee and Massachusetts State Director. Included in her service are many committee positions, such as Government Affairs, Professional Standards, MLS Task Forces, Commercial and the Good Neighbor Selection Committee.
Educational designations have always been a top priority for Barb, having earned her GRI (Graduate REALTOR Institute), CRS (Certified Residential Specialist), and CRB (Certified Real Estate Brokerage Manager) education honors and is now in the final stage of obtaining the esteemed CCIM (Certified Commercial Investment Institute) designation.
While the REALTOR of the Year award primarily focuses on service to the REALTOR® Association, we also ensure that those chosen have well-rounded service to our community as well. Barb is an active volunteer with many organizations in the Berkshires, including the Rental Housing Association of Berkshire County, Town of Lanesboro Zoning Review Advisory, Lanesboro’s Open Space and Recreation Committee, Town of Lanesboro Ad Hoc TIF Committee, Associate Editor for Lanesborough News and is a dedicated supporter of Berkshire County Association of Retarded Citizens (BCARC). Barb holds membership in the Berkshire County Chamber of Commerce and the Berkshires Visitors Bureau.
Service within the last 16 months:
Local Association Service:
- Member, Board of Realtors (1989-2008)
- President, Central Council (2007)
- Director, Board of Directors, (2001-2007)
- Vice President, Multiple Listing Service (2008)
- Member, MLS Assessors Task Force (2007-2008)
- Chair, Government Affairs (2008)
- Member, Government Affairs (1999-2008)
- Member, Professional Standards (1999-2008)
- Attendee, Tribunal Training (2008)
- Member, Good Neighbor Selection (2007)
- Member, Commercial Committee (2004-2008)
- Participant, Relay for Life Team (1989-2008)
State Association Activities
- Member, Mass Assoc. of Realtors (1989-2008)
- MAR State Director (2008)
- Participant, Realtor Day on Beacon Hill (2007)
- Donor to the Mass Realtors Political Action Committee (2007-2008).
- Member, Massachusetts Commercial Investment Council (2007-2008)
- Participant in the Massachusetts Association of Realtors Housing Market Survey conducted over this past year. (2008)
- Participant in Massachusetts Association of Realtors Legislative Action Center Calls to Action on legislative issues (2007-2008)
- Graduate REALTOR® Institute (GRI) Designation (2004)
National Association Activities
- Member, National Association of Realtors (1989-2008)
- Member, Certified Commercial Investment Institute (2003-2008)
Professionals from every segment of commercial real estate recognize the multi-disciplined value of CCIM education and of earning the CCIM designation. Of the thousands of candidates taking course throughout the CCIM Institute only 4% are awarded the CCIM designation. (2004-2008)
- Approved Portfolio of Qualifying Experience by the CCIM Institute (2008).
- National Designation Education:
- Completed Introduction of Commercial Investment Real Estate
- Completed CI 101 Financial Analysis
- Completed CI 102 Market Analysis
- Completed CI 103 User Decision
- Completed the Ethics Training
- Completed the 3 Continuing Credits required.
- Scheduled to complete CI 104 Investment Analysis on July 28, 2008.
- Scheduled to take Course Concept Review on October 14 & 15, 2008
- Scheduled to take the final Comprehensive Exam on October 16, 2008 in Chicago, IL
- Candidate in the nationally recognized CRB (Certified Real Estate Brokerage Manager) Designation Program. The CRB Designation is recognized throughout the industry as a measure of success for real estate brokerage manager. (2008)
- Earned CRS (Certified Residential Specialist) Designation (2004)
In her own words:
“I have been honored with a nomination for Realtor of the Year from my peers many times over the past nine years. There have been some great Realtors who have received this honor who have contributed so much to the Realtor organization. It certainly is a thrill to be even considered in the company of the past recipients.
When completing the forms for the nomination, I realized there are more important things in life outside of work, the most important being the volunteer work that affects so many people who are in such need. I find that through each day of challenges that come across my desk, nothing is even remotely as challenging as those afflicted with cancer, mental illness, heart disease, brain and muscle damage and all the other diseases that effect so many people today. I consider myself blessed in so many ways that I have my health, my friends and my family who are such a huge part of my life. More importantly, I am most comfortable to know that I can and do make a difference in supporting the many organizations that provide the circle of support to those afflicted and make their lives just a little bit better each and every day. I hope more and more people find the resolve to get through their challenging days with the least amount of pain and sorrow and that we can all continue to rise to the occasion when called upon to help.
I also realize that through the civic work that we do as Realtors, we excel in protecting the property rights of those incapable of doing so. I get a tremendous amount of satisfaction in speaking out at public forums on subject matters related to Real Estate knowing that someone isn’t going to be harmed by an adverse decision affecting their property rights. More and more people today have to stop being silent…because being silent is just like agreeing.
I would be honored to receive the Realtor of the Year award from the Berkshire County Board of Realtors and will do Berkshire County proud at the State level if chosen to do so.”
The Lady in Red …