- This event has passed.
Government Affairs Committee Meeting
February 8, 2018 @ 11:30 am - 12:30 pm
Chairperson Billy Keane invites interested REALTORS to participate in our Government Affairs Committee this year. Our Government Affairs Committee works to educate and empower our membership on issues that affect the real estate industry, private property rights, and/or the Berkshire community. We are currently studying the impact of rail service on the Berkshires, working to bring funding for smart growth to our region, and protecting home-ownership and private property rights. We also work to support efforts enhance the property use or value, such as fighting for high speed broadband in all communities, access to adequate transportation, We also educate on land and disclosure issues. Legislatively we advocate for smart laws in the Commonwealth of MA and nationwide to promote home-ownership and the American Dream, and encourage RPAC (Realtor Political Action Committee for candidate support and mobilization) and Political Advocacy Fund (PAF, issues mobilization) contributions by all. Contact the staff to join!
Here is our mission, as set out in the Strategic plan.
1. Be seen by the member, public, media, and elected officials as the leading advocate for private property rights and real property ownership. To achieve this, we will:
- Host an Annual Legislative Luncheon and PAC fundraiser.
- Release FAQs about issues affecting homeownership to the community
- Adopt a Champion of Homeownership program for PAC contributors
- Add listing of all PAC contributors to Board office conference room
- Administer dues billing for PAF funds for the first time in 2015 and annually thereafter
- Solicit all elected and appointed leadership to contribute
- Send RPAC success stories to all members, with request to contribute
- Educate the membership about industry issues via the Friday Recap posts
- Have trained, educated leadership ready to speak on the issues
2. Boost consumer advocacy efforts and engage the public in legislative/political issues that impact homeownership, real estate investment and related issues. To achieve this, we will:
- Submit local, state and national call-to-action to our public media feeds.
- Post important community meeting information on our outreach channels.
- Through inviting content, increase consumer engagement on portal/web/social media sites.
3. Achieve better than average participation rates on Calls-For-Action. To achieve this we will:
- Promote the Realtor® Action Center App at least annually at the following: Legislative Meeting, annual meeting, on our website and in member email communication
- Request members and especially leaders to promote the calls for action on their social media sites and directly to other agents and consumers they come into contact with.
- Re-publish all calls to action to our blog, our Facebook, Google+ and Twitter pages in addition to our member’s weekly newsletter and/or MLS pop up messages.
- Encourage / explain importance of Brokers participation in the Broker Involvement program to DRs