- This event has passed.
October 30, 2019
Official Call of the Annual Meeting of the Berkshire County Board of REALTORS® And the Multiple Listing Service, Inc.
October 30th, 2019 @ 3 p.m. (Followed by reception & Chili Cook-off)
Country Club of Pittsfield – 639 South Street, Pittsfield, MA
Join us for the meeting of the Board where we will elect our 2020 Boards of Directors, review budgets and discuss topics and trends in the industry. The meeting will be followed by our Annual Charitable Chili Cookoff. This year’s event will raise proceeds for the Elizabeth Freeman Center of Berkshire County.
Timeline of Events:
2:30 p.m. Meeting Registration Begins
3:00 p.m. Board Annual Meeting / MLS Annual Meeting
4:30 p.m. Cocktail Hour Begins
5:30 p.m. Chili Cook-off Begins: Open to the PUBLIC
7:30 p.m. Winners Announced
8:00 p.m Event Concludes
We hope that you’ll attend the meeting and then join us for some great chili, raffles, DJ and fun! A list of participating restaurants will be announced soon. Keep an eye out, we’ve got some great participants!
Finance Committee Budget Report
- Board Proposed Budget: No dues increase, same or increasing levels of service.
- MLS Proposed Budget: No dues increase, $30 per month (no listing fees) with increasing levels of service.
Nominating Committee Report
Proposed 2020 Slate of Officers to be voted on at the Annual Meeting
In accordance with Article XI, Section 4 of the Bylaws of the Berkshire County Board of REALTORS the following Slate of Officers has been nominated by the Nominating Committee comprised of: Churchward Davis (chair), Charley Sawyer, Susan Colvin, Tiffany Roberts, and Lance Vermeulen. Proposed is the following slate of officers and directors for 2020, for consideration at the Annual Meeting election.
Also serving on the Board in 2020 but not requiring a vote:
Election Information Excerpt from our Bylaws: Section 4. Election of Officers.
(a) At least two (2) months before the annual election, a Nominating Committee of five (5) REALTOR® Members shall be appointed by the President with the approval of the Board of Directors. The Nominating Committee shall select one candidate for each office and one candidate for each place to be filled on the Board of Directors. The report of the Nominating Committee shall be mailed or where permitted by state law, electronically transmitted to each Member eligible to vote at least three (3) weeks preceding the election. Additional candidates for the offices to be filled may be placed in nomination by petition signed by at least ten (10%) percent of the REALTOR® Members eligible to vote. The petition shall be filed with the Chief Executive Officer at least two (2) weeks before the election. The Chief Executive Officer shall send notice of such additional nominations to all Members eligible to vote before the election.
(b) The election of officers and directors shall take place at the annual meeting. Elections shall be by ballot and all votes shall be cast in person. The ballot shall contain the names of all candidates and offices for which they are nominated.
Please note: Unlike the MLS, additional nominations may NOT be made from the floor at the Board of REALTORS election of officers and directors (see bylaws above for how to petition to add candidate(s) to the ballot). Also, unlike the MLS bylaws, each Realtor is provided one vote, and no absentee ballots are offered.
Given our meeting time, additional candidates for ballot must be submitted to the CEO by Wednesday, October 16th, with signatures of at least 51 Realtors in good standing.
MLS Nominating Committee
Proposed 2020 MLS Slate of Officers to be voted on at the Annual Meeting
Also serving on the MLS Board in 2020 but not requiring a vote:
Election Information Excerpt from our Bylaws: Nomination and Election of Officers and Directors
The Officers and Directors of the Service shall be nominated by a vote of the Participants in the Service in accordance with the provisions of Article 7, Meetings, of these Bylaws and as further set forth following:
1. Nominating Committee. The President of the Service shall appoint a Nominating Committee each year which Committee shall be comprised of 5 Participants of the Service. The appointment of the Nominating Committee shall be made by such a date as to enable the Committee to meet and select a proposed slate of Officers and Directors of the Service no more than 60 nor less than 30 days prior to the date of the meeting of the Participants of the Service at which nominees shall be selected by vote of the Participants. The proposed slate of Officers and Directors shall be reported to the President and Secretary of the Service.
2. Notice of Proposed Nominees. The President shall cause a list of the proposed nominees selected by the Nominating Committee to be forwarded to the Participants of the Service, setting forth the time, place, and other pertinent conditions of the meeting to select the final list of nominees by vote of the Participants of the Service. The notice to the participants of the Service concerning the meeting to select nominees for Officers and Directors shall be mailed on a date at least twenty-one (21) days prior to the proposed meeting.
3. Rights of Participants to Select Additional Nominees. The names of additional proposed nominees may be added to the list selected by the Nominating Committee by a petition submitted to the Secretary of the Service by 10% of the Participants of the Service, with said petition received not less than 7 days prior to the date of meeting of the Participants to select nominees for Officers and Directors. The names contained in such petition, if duly received and certified, shall be presented in writing to the Participants at the meeting to select nominees as additional nominees for consideration for such office as specified in the petition. In addition, nominations may be made from the floor at the duly noticed meeting of the Participants to select nominees for Officers and Directors and, if seconded, shall be added to the list of proposed nominees. Given our meeting time, additional candidates to be added to the voting ballot must be submitted to the CEO by Wednesday, October 23rd, with signatures of at least 15 MLS Participants (DRs) in good standing.
4. Voting by Written Secret Ballot. Voting for selection of nominees, if other than on a motion to cast a unanimous vote for the original proposed slate shall be by secret ballot, and said ballot shall contain blank spaces for writing in additional names proposed by petition or from the floor at the meeting to select nominees.
5. Vote to Select Nominees. Voting shall be in accordance with provisions of Article 7 of these Bylaws.
6. Nominees Submitted to Shareholder for Election. When nominees for Officers and Directors of the Service for the forthcoming fiscal year have been selected by vote of the Participants of the Service, such nominees shall be submitted to the Board of Directors of the Berkshire County Board of REALTORS® (shareholder) for election pursuant to Article XII, Section 2 of the Bylaws of the Berkshire County Board of REALTORS®. Upon election by the Board of Directors of the Berkshire County Board of REALTORS® (shareholder), the individuals so elected shall be considered Officers-Elect and Directors-Elect and shall assume their respective offices on January 1st.
The term of office for Officers and Directors of the Service shall be on a calendar year basis. In the event one (1) or more nominee(s) is/are not elected by the Board of Directors of the Berkshire County Board of REALTORS® (shareholder), and upon notice of such failure of election, the President of the Service shall select a proposed Participant or Participants, as required, subject to confirmation by the Board of Directors, for submission as nominee(s) to the Board of Directors of the Berkshire County Board of REALTORS® (shareholder) to be considered for election to fill the vacancy or vacancies existing.
In the event that nominees are not duly and timely provided by the Service to the Board of Directors of the Berkshire County Board of REALTORS®, as provided in these Bylaws, then the Board of Directors of the Berkshire County Board of REALTORS® shall exercise rights as sole and exclusive shareholder to elect a Participant or Participants of the Service to fill any existing vacancy or vacancies as Officers or Directors of the Service.